Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Wednesday Spotlight - Selenium

Selenium - wasn't a nutrient I heard much about growing up, but it is very important to get the right amount for your body AND it is soooo easy to get the right amount every day (well, for most people).

Selenium is a mineral that works like an antioxidant to protect cells from damage from free radicals (which contributes to chronic diseases like cancer and heart disease) and helps regulate thyroid (and so your metabolism). Selenium also supports the immune system and brain function (think Alzheimer's prevention).

Luckily, a little selenium goes a long way. Children 13 and under are recommended to intake between 20 and 40 mcg a day, adults 55 mcg a day and pregnant/lactating females 60-70 mcg a day.

My husband eats a Brazil nut every day or every other day to ensure he gets the selenium he needs (1-2 a day will meet the adult needs for selenium). To avoid possible selenium toxicity (which might bring you things like hair loss, gastrointestinal upset, fatigue, irritability, bad breath), do not eat more than 2 Btazil nuts a day.

I was on the same routine as the hubby for about a month until I finally conceded my daily heat rashes in the morning coincided with my breakfast Brazil nut. So, now, I make sure I eat enough chicken (3oz = 35%), eggs (3 = 60%), fish like tuna and cod (3oz, 97% and 46%, respectively), beef (3oz chuck roast = 33%) and sunflower seeds (1oz = 33%).

So, if you aren't allergic to Brazil nuts like me, this is your best plan of attack for meeting your selenium needs (I didn't mention above they are sooo yummy!). Otherwise, make sure you are eating adequate amounts of fish/eggs/meat/sunflower seeds, or as last resort, take a high quality supplement.

To your brain and thyroid!


No comments:

Post a Comment