Monday, October 8, 2012

Monday Special - Pomegranate

MMMM... pomegranates. I didn't appreciate them as much when I was younger, but now I love pomegranate season. It's a great little addition to almost any meal - I prefer it in my quinoa, in my salads and on some baked chicken. I never turn down pom martinis either. :) It brings a sweet yet tart taste to any meal. Of course, you can eat them on their own too. 

Pomegranates are generally in season from September through February. If you aren't accustomed to eating them, beware as they can prove very messy! I usually cut mine in half and remove the seeds in the sink. I have stained many a shirt doing this counter-top. I haven't tried it but it is suggested to remove the seeds underwater. This seems smart because I don't see how it could squirt all over you in this method.

Half a cup of seeds is about 75 calories, 16 carbs, 3.5g fiber, 12 sugars and 1g of fat. It also carries 1.5g protein. Seeds are a good source of vitamin C (15% in half cup), Vitamin K (18%), Folate (8%), Copper (7%) and potassium (6%). In addition to these vitamins and minerals, pomegranates boost your body by delivering antioxidants, increasing energy levels to the heart and working to prevent blood clots. Other research indicates that pomegranates may fight against arthritic inflammation and erectile dysfunction.

Like many fruits, choose a pomegranate that feels heavy for its size. You can store a pomegranate for up to two months in your refrigerator, but you don't need to refrigerate if you are going to eat it in the next couple weeks.

It was a short and sweet Monday "lesson". Hope you learned something interesting and wish you a great rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment